Total Pageviews

Friday, June 19, 2020

C-19 AND WHY RED, BLACK & BROWN?

C-19 AND WHY RED, BLACK & BROWN?

June 1 The Progressive Populist
By ROBERTO DR CINTLI RODRIGUEZ

I spent 29 years as a writer before returning to school to get a Ph.D. I remember the first thing I was taught in working on my dissertation was to focus like a laser beam on the topic I had chosen to study.

In my case, it was the role of maiz in the development of culture(s) in what is today the Americas. Way too broad, I was told, though I stuck to my machetes and ended up creating a dissertation that spanned the 7,000-year history of maiz on this hemisphere.

For 29 years, I had already been doing precisely that, always examining the bigger picture in my attempt to comprehend the nature of social justice. This same idea has come to mind in the middle of the coronavirus crises, in which most of this nation’s citizens appear not to be able to see the forest for the trees.

While we as a nation are attempting to solve this crisis, one of the things that we have learned is that the American Indian and Black and Brown communities of this nation are being especially hit hard by this pandemic. This should come as no surprise to anyone. Also, not to be forgotten is that Asians also are being subjected to unprecedented levels of hate crimes, compliments of the president’s scapegoating of China. THE REST OF THE COLUMN CAN BE FOUND IN THE JUNE 1 ISSUE OF THE PROGRESSIVE POPULIST AT: https://www.populist.com/index.html
YOU CAN GO DIRECT TO THE COLUMN AT: https://www.populist.com/26.10.rodriguez.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments