Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Re my write-in candidacy for NACCS Chair-elect


Saludos on this first day of voting for the National Association for Chicana and Chicano Studies. This is also the day Selena died, but also, Cesar Chavez's birthday...


I believe that there is something wrong with an organization when much time and energy is expended on producing unopposed elections with unopposed candidates, which seems to be the case within NACCS, especially for the position of Chair-elect, especially in recent memory.

It should not be my responsibility to answer why that is the organization’s policy. I believe that people, including past and current members of the organization should ask the board, and specifically the leadership of the organization, why this is so. Additionally, I have been receiving questions as to why I was deemed ineligible, not once, but twice. I will post here the reason I was given this time for their decision and leave it up to the NACCS board and the permanent leadership to explain it, because a careful reading of the by-laws does not sustain the reason, especially when one considers NACCS’s past practices.

From: Carlos Guerrero
Date: March 19, 2015 at 11:12:28 AM CDT
To: Josie Mendez Negrete
Cc: Julia Curry , Roberto Rodriguez
Subject: Re: FW: Nominations for 2014-2015 Board

Josie and Roberto,

We just finished putting together the slate for the NACCS elections.

The Elections Committee considered Roberto's nomination, and we appreciate the nomination. In order to keep regional representation, the candidates for the open offices came from regions that do not have representation on the Board. Rocky Mountain has representation. Ed Muñoz, as secretary is part of the Rocky Mountain FOCO. The Election Committee invites Roberto's nomination next year.

Thanks,
Carlos Reyes Guerrero, Chair
National Association for Chicana and Chicano Studies

(Carlos, a good friend and colleague is the chair, Josie is who nominated me and Julia is the long-time executive director of NACCS).

I believe that it is the board and the organization's leadership that should explain to the membership why I have been deemed ineligible, not once but at least twice. Both times, reasons were given to me that had nothing to do with the bylaws. Rather than me explain, I think it is their responsibility to explain both, why they produce unopposed elections, and why I have been deemed ineligible. I have been given reasons, but they do not appear to comport with the by-laws.

Regarding my write-in candidacy, such a procedure always creates the opposite of optimum conditions for holding competitive elections. In addition to all the normal disadvantages, the cutoff date for those wishing to vote was March 22. I was not given the go-ahead regarding my write-in candidacy until March 29. In effect, that gave me one day to campaign before the first day of balloting, with a small electoral base, because no member that has not paid their dues now is eligible to vote. This seems illogical in the sense that prior to a conference, that’s when many members pay their dues to be able to attend the conference. If this is standard practice within NACCS, perhaps they can accommodate because this is situation of their own doing, not mine. It seems that NACCS should be promoting the expansion of the electorate, thus expanding the membership. Again, I did not create this situation. As noted, I was duly nominated on time and I have been part of this discipline and organization virtually since its founding, at one capacity or another. If indeed I am unqualified or if the membership likes a different candidate, the membership can easily decide. I have no problem with that. If the NACCS leadership wanted to somewhat equalize this election, the board should permit its members, who have not paid dues, to be able to do so through this election, and be eligible to vote.

There is no valid reason stemming from the bylaws as to why I continue to be ruled ineligible (at least 3 times, I have been informed). I love this organization. I have never nominated myself for anything and the thing to note is that the candidate that does appear on the ballot is a great colleague, someone I respect. This holds true for the NACCS board and its leadership; we are all, long-time  friends and colleagues. So the issue is not the nominee, but a culture that has been created within the organization’s leadership. I am not asking to be appointed as the next chair-elect; rather, I am asking that the organization hold open and competitive elections, and to go by the by-laws when they rule nominees ineligible. I believe the membership should be trusted on these matters. Thanks for those who have been sending me messages and please continue sending them (for the moment) to my address at: XColumn@gmail.com or to my FB page. Thank you. If you would like to contact the board and its leadership, go to their FB page and leave a message there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/naccs/

Here is the board as listed on the NACCS website, listed under: “contact us.” Also included here first is the NACCS leadership. Both can be found at: http://www.naccs.org/naccs/ The organization’s bylaws can also be found here, via a link on the left side of page: http://www.naccs.org/naccs/Preamble.asp

Julia E. Curry Rodriguez, Ph.D. 
San Jose State University
office: 408.924.5310

General Information
NACCS@naccs.org or kathy@naccs.org]
408-808-2097 - Kathryn Blackmer Reyes

NACCS Board
Carlos Guerrero, Chair
Los Angeles City College
carlos@naccs.org
Nelia Olivencia, Chair Elect
University Wisconsin-Whitewater, emerita
nelia@naccs.org
vacant, Past Chair
vacant
 at naccs.org

Ed Muñoz, Secretary
University of Utah
ed@naccs.org
Ann Marie Leimer, Treasurer
Midwestern State University
annmarie@naccs.org
At Large Representatives
Irene Mata
Wellesley University
Irene@naccs.org
Armando Ibarra
University Wisconsin - Extension
Armando@naccs.org
Aureliano DeSoto
Metropolitan State University
aureliano@naccs.org




Thanks & Sincerely
Roberto Dr. Cintli Rodriguez
UA-MAS
1303 E. University Blvd # 20756
Tucson, AZ 85719--0521
520-271-6796

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments